Thursday 18 October 2012

Maxfactor 'Fantasy Fire'

If there's one polish that reading nail and beauty blogs has inspired me to get, this would be it, Maxfactor 'Fantasy Fire'. Its a shimmery duochrome polish, that goes from a lovely rich purple colour to striking shades of red and orange - the colours of fire. I had read so much about this polish but could never seem to find it...until I did.

2 coats of Maxfactor 'Fantasy Fire' over 2 coats of NYC 'Prince Street'

Everyone and their dog has talked about this polish, so much that for a while you really just couldn't find it anywhere because it was so hyped up. I tried to resist for a while because I don't really like purple on my nails that much but I finally caved in and have found that I have mixed feelings about this polish really. 

2 coats of Maxfactor 'Fantasy Fire' over 2 coats of NYC 'Prince Street'

On one hand this polish does have a really beautiful duochrome, I thought I might have found the one purple polish that I would like on my nails but this polish is incredibly sheer. I tried using this on it's own and I gave up after 4 coats because it still wasn't really anywhere near opaque. In the photos I have layered it on top of NYC New York Color Nail Polish in 'Prince Street', a purple in a similar shade that I was hoping would provide an opaque base so I could layer 'Fantasy Fire' over the top of. 


2 coats of Maxfactor 'Fantasy Fire' over 2 coats of NYC 'Prince Street'

The result was much better with the NYC colour underneath, but I think that it may have dulled the duochrome a little which is a shame. Ideally I would wear a purple creme polish under 'Fantasy Fire' but I couldn't find one in the right shade so I went with a metallic. The duochrome was still visible under most lights and was really beautiful under bright lights, you could see the colour shift really nicely.

2 coats of Maxfactor 'Fantasy Fire' over 2 coats of NYC 'Prince Street'

I will keep it and use it as a layering colour but I can't see myself using it too much just because it is difficult to work with because of the sheerness. Do I think it's worth the hype? Probably not, but it is something fun to have in your collection to change the look of other polishes.

You really can see the best of the duochrome in the bottle, a very pretty idea

Have you tried 'Fantasy Fire'? What did you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment