Thursday 25 October 2012

Deborah Lippmann 'Today was a Fairytale'

Today I wanted to talk to you all about the latest addition to my Lippmann collection, 'Today was a Fairytale'. In the bottle it looks like a dusty medium blue jelly base with silver micro-shimmer and larger hexagonal glitters. On the nail it looks nothing like it does in the bottle...thats not to say that I don't like it though.

2 coats of 'Today was a Fairytale' over 2 coats of Barry M 'Navy'

The blue base is so incredibly sheer that I think it would be impossible to get any sort of complete nail coverage using this polish, because of the sheerness I would consider it more of a glitter top coat than an actual nail polish. I was a little disappointed by this because I thought it was going to look very magical and pretty. Once that initial disappointment subsided I tried layering this polish over various other colours and found a combination that I really love, 'Today was a fairytale' over 2 coats of Barry M 'Navy' nail paint.

'Today was a Fairytale' as a glitter top coat

Once I put it over the deeper blue base colour it started to look like a pretty galaxy on my nails, it also looked quite pretty over black, although at the moment there are lots of black polishes with silver glitter in them which would probably produce a nicer result. The glitter was a little hard to place at times so I had to dab it on to some parts on my nail.

2 coats of 'Today was a Fairytale' over 2 coats of Barry M 'Navy'

Given the £16 price tag for Deborah Lippmann nail polishes in the UK i'm not sure I could recommend this as it's only suitable for use as a layering polish. However, if you're looking for a very sparkly silver glitter top coat then this might be just the thing for you, and since the blue base hardly shows up blue on the nail you could layer it over a lot of different base colours. For me, this polish wasn't worth the money that I payed for it but I can imagine some people really loving it like I thought I was going to.

Close-up of 'Today was a Fairytale' 

Have you tried 'Today was a Fairytale'? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment