Wednesday 10 October 2012

Deborah Lippmann 'Ruby Red Slippers'


It's been a while since i've used a Deborah Lippmann polish and when I was looking through my stash I knew it was time to put on my 'Ruby Red Slippers'.....and follow the yellow brick road. Cute name of this polish aside (I really love The Wizard of Oz) this polish really is something. I have a lot of red glitters, and I mean a boat load, but I think the black base on this one makes it feel much more modern.

4 thin coats of 'Ruby Red Slippers' - much more black is present on the nail than in the bottle in this photo and I think that it's fairly accurate

'Ruby Red Slippers' is a black jelly base with smaller red microshimmer and larger red hexagonal glitter. Application was nice, although this was a sheer polish, it applied quite evenly and it wasn't too hard to get plenty of glitter on the nail. Because of how sheer this polish is I used 4 thin coats which makes it quite a time consuming polish so that's something to keep in mind.

4 thin coats of 'Ruby Red Slippers'

I think that this could be a great twist on a sparkly red polish for when it gets closer to the festive season, I think that the black base is something quite unexpected and is perhaps more interesting than just having a red base. I will admit the first thing that sprang to mind when I first saw it was 'Oh my.....I have found the perfect polish to wear on halloween' but it looks very different on the nail. In some lights fleeting glances may lead you to believe that the polish is a burgundy colour which I think is pretty cool.

4 thin coats of 'Ruby Red Slippers'

This polish is quite expensive, I got mine for £16 at House of Fraser which is the only place that i've seen Lippmann polishes being sold in-store in the UK. I feel like I might actually use up this polish at some stage because it does require many coats (I will be trying it over a black creme base though) so it doesn't seem like great value but I love the look it gives and haven't seen anything else like it. I know that in the US there is a Wet N Wild dupe, unfortunately we don't get that brand here in the UK but its something to keep an eye out for if you're in the states and are considering 'Ruby Red Slippers'.

4 thin coats of 'Ruby Red Slippers'

What do you think of Ruby Red Slippers? What are some of your favourite Deborah Lippmann polishes?

No comments:

Post a Comment