Sunday 30 September 2012

Playing with magnets

Until now i'd resisted the urge to buy a magnetic nail polish. I've never really been too much of a fan of nail effects, I don't like shatter nail polishes except for the silver one the I picked up by mistake not realising it was shatter, I didn't expect magnetic polish to be anything but a trend that would soon be gone. That being said, when I saw that Barry M had started doing magnetic nail polishes I decided to have a little bit of a play, and I must say i'm pleasantly surprised. It's very simple to do so immediately I prefer it over water marbling which I found really fussy and quite time consuming.

2 coats of Barry M number 347 and seche vite fast dry topcoat

I got two of the magnetic polishes and the one i'm going to talk about is number 347 'Magnetic Multi Sparkle' which is a gunmetal silver colour with plenty of multi-coloured sparkle in it. This colour is beautiful, I have to say even if I do get bored of wearing this as a magnetic polish I will wear it on its own because its really lovely.

2 coats of Barry M number 347 and seche vite fast dry topcoat

When magnetised this polish has a striped pattern in a darker grey colour. It was really very simple to get the effect and I think it looks pretty cool, I don't think i'll be doing it too often but it was fun to try and maybe I will use it to jazz up a plainer outfit sometime. The polish itself went on pretty well, wasn't too sheer or streaky, you have to apply one coat, let it dry and then magnetise the second coat as soon as you've painted it on.



The finished effect after magnetisation and top coat

The magnet is contained within the top of a squared off lid which means that its easy to tell this apart from other Barry M nail paint which have a smaller top and that the magnet is of a nice large size which makes the magnetising process simpler and less fiddly. One of the main criticisms I had heard of magnetic polishes is that the magnets that came with some of them were too small and it made it hard to get a uniform effect over a nail and made it quite difficult to work with.

In the process of magnetising the nail polish on my thumb

Like I said earlier, I was pleasantly surprised with how this magnetic polish turned out, it was simple to do, didn't sacrifice the quality of the polish and looked very cool. I think I might see what other magnetic polishes Barry M has, I know that there are some where  you get a sort of firework effect which I think would be great for bonfire night which is rapidly approaching.


No comments:

Post a Comment