Thursday 20 September 2012

top 10 nail polish picks for autumn - part 2!

My top 10 nail polish picks for autumn!

I already talked about how much I love autumn and autumn colours in part 1 so I won't bore you too much by going on again. Theres some really great nail polish options out there that fit the season and some great collections have been released for autumn and winter (I can't wait to pick up a few colours from the Jessica 'Spicy Dream' collection!) So without further ado, lets dive into the second half of my favourite polishes for autumn!

(left-right) Chanel 'Rouge noir', Deborah Lippmann 'Ruby red slippers', Barry M 'Navy', OPI 'Designer de-better', Deborah Lippmann 'Diamonds and pearls'


2 coats of Chanel 'Rouge noir'

'Rouge noir' was very raved about a few years back, but the hype seems to have died down in the wake of other polishes such as 'Peridot' and 'Paradoxal'. Oh well, I don't care if its hyped about or not, I still love the colour. Its an extremely blackened red creme that in some lighting comes off as flat black. I love this for when I want to have a fairly neutral (odd calling this colour a neutral, but it does seem to go with everything), dark and moody polish. I don't wear flat black nail polish as it can seem a bit harsh against my pale complexion, especially in the winter months, so this polish is a nice alternative.

3 coats of Deborah Lippmann 'Ruby red slippers'

I got this polish rather a long time ago back at the start of spring and just haven't had a chance to wear it throughout spring and summer. Alas, autumn is upon us and I can now don my 'Ruby red slippers'. This is a black jelly base with red hexagonal chunky glitter and small red shimmer particles running throughout. I think i'll wear this one a lot more closer to christmas time actually but it certainly won't go unworn throughout autumn. The sheerness of the black base is a bit of a bummer if i'm honest but the colours pretty, so I will spend the time, it just probably won't be worn as much as shades the require 1-2 coats.

2 coats of Barry M 'Navy'

I wasn't expecting to like this colour half as much as I actually do, I bought it because I thought it looked like a pretty close dupe for Chanel 'Blue Satin' and thought it would be great if I could find a much cheaper alternative. The truth is I like this polish better than the Chanel one, which i'm surprised by. I find Barry M nail paints to be a bit of a hit or miss but with this one the quality is definitely there. Compared to the Chanel this one is a little less blackened; 'Blue satin' can read as black in dim lighting but this is definitely a metallic navy, which is what I was looking for. I feel it's just the right balance of being dark and rich in colour without being too blackened. I may do a separate comparison post on these two as there's much more to say.

2 coats of OPI 'Designer de-better'

When I first thought of including this polish I wasn't sure whether to include this or the oh so hyped about Orly 'Rage' but I included this one because I like the formula better. 'Designer de-better' is a pretty old OPI shade that came out with the Muppets collection. Its a metallic rose gold shade with tonnes of micro-shimmer. I don't know why but shades like these just seem to suit my skin-tone better in the cooler months, plus I generally prefer metallics and shimmery polishes once summer closes in because they make up for the lack of sun and make me happy.



1 coat of Deborah Lippmann 'Diamonds and pearls' over 2 coats of Essie 'Sand tropez'

This isn't really an autumn colour as much as I wear it all the time so i'm sure that it will be on my nails alot during autumn. In the summer time when i'm a tad less pale I can wear 'Sand tropez' on its own but in the autumn and winter I need something to give it a bit of a lift so that its not completely nude and doesn't make my hands look dead. 'Diamonds and pearls' is a light, shimmery warm-toned polish that is very sheer and best worn over another colour. I think this will look good as a jazzier neutral when the weather starts to close in; plus the shimmer will make me happy when the sun goes away.


So there you have it, my top 10 nail polish picks for autumn 2012, i'm excited for the leaves to start falling so I can jump in a big pile of crunchy leafy goodness :D


No comments:

Post a Comment