Wednesday 25 July 2012

Ballerina nails...

After loving my last lighter and more neutral coloured manicure I decided to try out a slightly take on this look. One of the main things I've been loving about wearing lighter nail polish is that it doesn't stain my nails if I forget to use a base coat or i'm in a hurry unlike some of the darker or brighter colours I normally wear. I'm not sure i'm loving this look on my nails, I don't know why, the concept sounds pretty in my head but theres just something that i'm not quite sure about when it's on my hands which meant that it only lasted a day before I removed it.


This was another experiment with layering polishes. This time I used a pink glitter polish in a clear base over a metallic rose gold colour. Maybe it's the combination of the two polishes that isn't just quite right for me, as i've used both before and never had any problems with how they looked. I started off with 2 coats of Orly's 'Rage' which I think is a really beautiful colour. It's light enough to be subtle but the shimmer and unusual hue makes sure that it's not boring. This was a staple polish of mine when I wasn't allowed to wear nail polish at work because it wasn't as obvious as the bright red that was my favourite at that time but still made my nails feel interesting.



One problem I did have with this polish was the price. The bottle I purchased was £5 for a tiny 5ml of product which is a lot when you compare it to brands like OPI where you get around 15ml of product for around the £10 mark. Given the high price I was expecting it to be a really great formula which actually it isn't, it's not really bad, it's just not as good as companies like OPI or Butter that retail for a lower price point. Having said that I would probably repurchase this if I finished the bottle I have because I think it's a lovely and unique colour. I got mine at Boots and haven't seen this brand in any other stores across the UK.


Over the top of this is another polish that is most definitely on the pricey side. It's Nars 'Arabesque'. I have a big love/hate relationship with this polish, on one hand its so feminine and pretty. On the other hand there are so many cheaper alternatives to this that are almost exact if not exact dupes. Look beauty's nail pop in 'Bling' looks exactly the same in the bottle, i'm not sure about application because I didn't need both but i've heard great things about 'Bling' and £5 is much more affordable than the £14 I shelled out for 'Arabesque' at Space NK, Nars also has counters in department stores across the UK. Look Beauty is available in Superdrug stores across the UK if you want the more affordable alternative.


Now, onto the polish itself, I like it....that's the best I can do, I like it - I don't love it. Maybe I was having a strange day when I got this because it's really not the kind of polish that I would normally go for. I prefer a bright or dark nail, not usually something this girly but I had it so it would be a crime not to use it. This polish is packed full of rosy shimmer all in one size that floats around in a clear base. I've never got this polish to full opacity by itself, mainly because I tend to give up after 3 coats.


I feel like someone more girlier than me might really love this nail polish combo but i'm just not really digging it that much. I feel its the nail version of a ballerina; all soft and pretty and feminine, I guess I just favour something a little more edgy.





No comments:

Post a Comment